Monday, August 18, 2008

Back to the Blog AGAIN!!


Well, I think we may have finally gotten all the bugs out of our internet service, and we've replaced our computer...we may be back in business!


I will have to try and mess with uploading pictures and all of that fun stuff again after I get myself caught up on the web, and learn a bit more about our new computer, featuring Windows Vista. So far, I think this new Windows is great but I'm not very computer savvy, so I may not be the best judge. As a mom, I like all the parental controls, I have an administrator account and I can block out times my teens cannot use the computer. They cannot access the computer at all between the hours of midnight and 8am, unless I sign them on. If I leave my account for ten minutes, then no one else can get on...it is password secured. I tried to figure out how to do this with Windows XP but had no success. I also like that you can switch between user accounts without signing off, which again gives me more control as a parent...they do not need to use my account because I don't want to be signed out. I understand there are a lot of bugs in Vista, but I've not encountered anything, and it is unlikely I will because I don't get into all the aspects of the software.
The BEST thing about my new computer is now I can use my SKYPE account! Anyone out there use SKYPE? It is amazing! I called my friend in England the other day and we talked for almost two hours...the cost was $2.26. It only cost anything because she hasn't got her headset yet. Once she is set up with the headsets, a SKYPE to SKYPE call is free, I called with my SKYPE to her landline. When I called my husband at work, in a different area code, he complained I sounded far away but for 2 cents a minute to anywhere worldwide, we aren't complaining. My friend in England said I sounded quiet when I was actually talking quite loud, so I'm sure improvements will be coming in the service, but for now we are thrilled. I also wonder when she has her headsets and we place a SKYPE to SKYPE call, if the sound quality will be better on her end. As far as my end, all calls, both across the ocean and long distance within the US have been crystal clear, I couldn't be happier with the sound quality.
The Thorn children have had a banner summer with camp, swim lessons and my youngest is now in a library program. We have some excellent programs in our town. Too bad we will be moving, we will miss these wonderful programs.


1 comment:

Mary Bennett said...

Yippie! I have OOMA, calls n the USA (anywhere in the UA) are free. To the best of my knowledge, we do't have international though. I think the quality of the call all depends on what the internet is doing. I find when it is running slow, my calls aren's as good as when the net is running well. But to not have the $ bills like MCI or AT and T everymonth is worth any inconvenience imo!! I am sooo glad you are back!!!!! ((((((((((GIANT HUGS!!!))))))))))