Sunday, June 8, 2008

Catholics must NOT opt out of politics

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/data?pid=avimage&iid=i_wcWGojFVJ0

Opting out of politics not option for Catholics, says church official

TORONTO (CNS) -- Opting out of politics is not an option for Catholics, despite the messy, partisan fray, said a U.S. bishops' official. Participation in the political process is a moral obligation and faithful citizenship is a virtue, said Joan Rosenhauer, associate director of the Department of Justice, Peace and Human Development of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops. "Both opposing evil and doing good are essential," she said. Even though the church itself is never partisan, individual Catholics can and should register with political parties and stay involved -- not only during elections, she said during a May 30 panel at the Catholic Media Convention, an international gathering of journalists and communications professionals. She stressed the importance of a conscience well-formed by Catholic social teaching, referring to the U.S. bishops' 2007 document, "Forming Consciences for Faithful Citizenship: A Call to Political Responsibility."
http://blog.kir.com/archives/Barack_Obama_portrait_2005.jpg

Funny thing is, I was going to skip voting for the first time ever this year. I'm so disgusted with my choices and disenfranchised with the entire political process. What kind of president allows this to happen to a nation? What kind of president leads us straight for a depression, throws around stimulus checks like they are salve and will heal all the wounds of the last two terms, and doesn't release the oil reserves when his people are being bled dry? Uh, an oil man perhaps? What kind of system would allow for this to happen? What kind of congress, which is supposed to be the checks and balances for the president, what kind representation do we really have when we can suffer so? Look around you! People who are not yet suffering, the average folk not the Richie Riches of the world but the average rat in the rat race, if they are not yet suffering they are soon to be. One need only look at the profile of the people whose houses are in foreclosure these days to see. Also talk to car dealers, the ones who are cash dealers, and ask how many keys they are getting back these days. Then go to the average person's new car dealer and ask them as well. Go ask your banker how many people are defaulting on their home equity loans, or their revolving credit. I don't read the papers and I don't have television, perhaps this information is plastered, but for me, I know this because I talk, listen and feel the pain of those around me. Talk to the school nurse and ask her how many families are in need in her school. Talk to Catholic Charities or your priest. If you have money, spread it around.

My plan for this election was to let my inaction speak for me. I tried to look up the actual document referenced in the article above but my computer virus and internet connection keeps crashing and I cannot read it. I shall try at the library this week to see if this document influences my behavior come November. Meanwhile, all that good Catholics can really do is pray, pray, pray. Oh, and speak up about the injustices we are experiencing. There are so many people, like me, who know very little about politics and care even less these days because we are so upset. But, maybe those wiser than me can tell me how I can really make a difference. I'm not sure my vote can do it. As a housewife and mother my place is with my family, what can I really do? Someone, let me know. Meanwhile, I will pray.

4 comments:

Lydia said...

You are so right. The choices seem deliberately calculated to make us all sick. Who can get excited about these people? They sure don't stir up any passion for righteousness or patriotism. They are like lukewarm water. You expect a cold drink and someone gives you something lukewarm. Makes you want to spit. These candidates are so boring. There are other people running though and you can write them in. Alan Keyes is still running, as well as someone in the Constitutional Party, and Ron Paul. We need a second party. The two parties we have are just the same, so we need a two party system. We were sure fooled when we were made to think we had two parties...and they pretend to be rivals...but inside they are the same. I hope the Lord turns the people's hearts away from this one party and causes them to vote for a righteous leader, even if it is a write in. Even if you don't want to vote for these people, at least write something in, and it will give them a message. Write your son's name or your son in law or someone good. Just write in something and send a message that the choices they dumped on us are not acceptable.

deb said...

China is drilling for oil off of our coast and Russia is exploring for oil. Our country is doing neither. Its very frustrating. I say drill in Anwar, the Dakotas and Montana. Those are all places that have been tagged as being oil rich. It might not help in the short term but it will eventually help us.

McCain wants to drill off shore. Great!! Now if we can convince him to drill in those other areas and to ignore the enviromentalists extremists.

MarkyMark said...

Lily,

I feel you; I haven't voted either for the same reasons. You mean to tell me that, in a country of 280 million people that McCain & Obama are the BEST we can do for presidential candidates?! As Warner Wolfe would say, COME ON!!!

You know what's interesting is that BBC shortwave had an INTERESTING program on our duopoly, our two party system. You know what they said in the program? That there is NOT a meaningful difference between the Republicans & Democrats! Furthermore, there couldn't be, since both parties would try to appeal to as many people as possible; to do that, they said, both parties would have to meet in the middle. 'Nuff said...

I've heard many say that, when they vote, that they'll choose the LESSER of two evils. Now that right there says it all! But, what never gets mentioned is this: by choosing the lesser of two evils, you're still CHOOSING evil...

MarkyMark

Lily said...

Thank you all for dropping by and leaving your comments.

MarkyMark,
You are right, that never gets mentioned. I don't buy the lesser of two evils argument for just that reason, though I didn't say it either ;-). Choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.

Deb,
I came out from under my rock long enough this week to hear that Bush is trying to blame the democrats for not pushing forth his desire to drill for oil...even I know that rings hollow.

Lady Lydia,
Thank you for your comments, as you see by my later post, you got me thinking! That was the whole point of this, so I thank you! Love your blog by the way.

Thank you all for helping on my quest for knowledge and my desire to use my vote appropriately, even if it is a 'no vote' which it may come to.

God bless,
~Lily