Monday, June 7, 2010

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

This is my first entry into this Meme, I had hoped to be able to review this first book for you, but I focused on getting through my midterm last week, therefore I lacked proper time to finish the book. I hope to be able to provide my own review soon. In the meantime, here is the Barnes & Noble synopsis:

Synopsis

An enchanting New York Times and international bestseller about life, art, literature, philosophy, culture, class, privilege, and power, seen through the eyes of a 54-year old French concierge and a precocious but troubled 12-year-old girl. A moving, funny, triumphant novel that exalts the quiet victories of the inconspicuous among us.


Next, I picked this little one up from the library. We don't pack lunches for school, but I am always looking for good ideas that will travel well for us.
Another little book that I found at the library. I have a 12 year old girl and as long as the book isn't too sexually oriented (we do not allow any dating before 16 years of age around here) she may like to read this. I thought I'd preview it before passing it on.
This is an author I discovered online, and I'm anxious to read her work. I hope to have time to read through this. It is quite far from my typical tastes but I do love young adult books, and I am a girl, so who knows? I will report back on how I liked it!

Again from Barnes and Noble:

Synopsis

Laughs, ghosts, and a lip-gloss-loving teen sleuth!

Sherry (short for Sherlock) Holmes Baldwin is spending spring break in California with her best friend, Junie. She can’t wait to hang out in the sun, hit the mall, and spend time with cutie-pie Josh.

Then . . . a freaky change of plans. Sherry’s mom, a cop killed in the line of duty, contacts her. Not only is she a ghost, she’s a ghost in danger of flunking out of the Academy of Spirits, and she needs Sherry’s help. Unless she solves an important mystery in San Diego, she’ll be banished to an afterlife for ghost failures!

If Sherry wants to be a normal seventh grader (as in, one who doesn’t communicate with ghosts), she can’t tell anybody about her mom—or what she has to do. Not her brother, not Junie, and especially not Josh. It’s up to Sherry alone to save the day. Except . . . she so doesn’t do mysteries.



That's it! my eclectic list for the week. A little different than my usual pickings. Being a librarian, it helps to have some idea of what is out there when a patron asks. Happy reading!

9 comments:

Heather said...

Isn't this a great idea? It is my first week too.
The things to do before 13 book looks interesting. I wonder if I accomplished much of it. The book about the ghost mother sounds good too. I don't read much YA but I may have to start.

Lily said...

Thanks for stopping by, Heather! YA is interesting, though neither of these books are ones I would usually choose, so I am looking forward to reading them. I usually go for things like Potter, Pellinor, Twilight, and even Maximum Ride. I started reading YA because I wanted to know what my children would be reading, and I found I really enjoyed them. I'm sure you will too!

Erotic Horizon said...

Being a librarian, it helps to have some idea of what is out there when a patron asks.

I wish you were my Librarian - sometimes I feel like I want to slap the ones I have in my library...

They have tunnel vision when it comes to what they know - sad lots they are..

The Macleod book looks good -Iam going to earmark it for the kidlet...

E.H>

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

What fun books you have posted here! I love going to the library! Thanks for joinig in on the meme!

Lily said...

EH,
I consider it a personal challenge to have some idea about different genres. I also enjoy chatting with the patrons to hear what they are reading and what their opinions are, because, sadly, I cannot read everything. I know what you mean about wanting to slap people, lol. I try to avoid that blank look even when I have no idea ;-)

Thanks for dropping by!


Sheila,
Thanks for such a fun meme! I can't wait to go see what everyone else is reading this week!

~Lily

Stacy said...

Cool idea. I have boring books this week as 4 non-fiction books came in at the same time on the interlibrary system so I'm committed to those. I have the 6th Harry Potter book on Audio in my car, my 4 'real' books include a (horrible) quesadilla cookbook, a 'use-it-up' cookbook for leftovers, a book on cell salt therapy, and a random 'regular ingredients' cookbook. For fiction, I have The Ambler Warning (Robert Ludlum.) I let my kids pick a book for me each week and this was my son's choice. On my daughter's weeks, she usually picks something from YA. Neil Gaimain one week (whose adult works I like), "Chosen" one week, anything that looks 'spooky' to her ;) I just returned a Diana Gabaldon that I enjoyed - she was a new author for me. Oh, and a Clive Cussler book that was sitting at the check out desk. Silent Sea, maybe?

Okay...this is way too long for a comment! Should have done the meme! I'll watch in case you do it again :)

Stacy

Lily said...

Hi Stacy!
I love that idea of letting your kids choose a book for you!! In fact I LOVE that idea!!

Diana Gabaldon is very popular with my adult library patrons, the fantasy readers. I understand the audios for those books are really well done also. She is on my list. I'm not a huge fantasy reader, though I've read some and enjoyed it. You may like the books of Pellinor, which I reviewed a while back(see my links on the right), they are YA. I've gotten some of the adults into YA with Croggon.

Thanks for stopping by, I always enjoy your blog posts!
~Lily

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

The Elegance of a Hedgehog sounds quite interesting! It's certainly quite a title! :)

The1stdaughter said...

Welcome to the meme! I hope you continue to enjoy it, it's really fun!

Just wanted to say, I know exactly what you mean about "screening" your kids' books. Mine aren't old enough yet, but I worry that they pick up things that aren't suited for their age at the time. So, I read them now in hopes I can pass them on later! I've actually been the go-to girl for MG & YA with our youth at church because of this and I love it!

Have a fantastic reading week and if you get a chance, stop by: Monday Reading's at There's A Book