Friday, June 4, 2010

Things That Go "Grrr" in the Night

http://www.blackrayne.com/images/fabric/gloweyes.jpg

Around 1 a.m. this morning, I was up studying. Mr. Thorns had just gone to bed. My eldest son was still up in the other room, getting ready to head up to bed as well. I thought the dog was still outside. The kitties were all playing on the porch. The kiddies were sleeping.

Suddenly, on the other side of the window fan, about 6 feet away from where I was sitting, I heard what sounded like canine breath sounds, then "Grrrrrrr." I thought to myself, "What on earth is that dog growling at now? She's going to wake the children." I was about to yell to my son to, "Get your dog in this house now before she gets into trouble." When the dog went flying past me right to the window.

Ummm...Yikes!!

To provide a little background, I live in RURAL NY. Up in the mountains. I've seen bears. There are foxes that live just over our property line, visible from the house. We've seen wildcats, vultures, hawks, all sorts of wildlife. Every night we have coy-dogs or coyotes (never wanted to go out and look!) in our yard howling. It sounds like they are in the living room at 3 a.m. most early mornings, though they are never right outside the window.

All I could think of was, "That THING wants to come in the house!" and if it did really want to, it would have been no problem for something with weight and desire to compromise the screen and send the fan flying. Oh the visions in my head at the moment!! Obviously, all is well that ends well. I had no visitors in my living room, but my husband, my son, myself, and the dog were all on adrenaline surges in the wee hours this morning. In fact The Mutt couldn't settle down at all, and this morning was running laps inside and outside the house trying to find what was out there last night.

Country living. It is definitely exciting!!

No comments: