Saturday, May 15, 2010

The Future of the Library

http://blog.laptopmag.com/wpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Droid-by-Motorola-Front-Open-VZW-Eye.jpg


“In three years’ time, desktops will be irrelevant... Mobile makes the world’s information universally accessible.”

John Herlihy, Vice President
Global Ad Operations for Google


This week I'm attending a webinar called, "The Future is Mobile" and its purpose is to discuss how the upcoming mobile trends are going to impact libraries, patrons, and our culture. When my library director requested I attend, I had difficulty drawing a line between mobile technology and library usage. Considering the OCLC and The Library Journal have collaborated to put this webinar together, I'm expecting that question will be answered.

I am interested to see what the webinar is all about, I hope it is informative and relevant. I will report back. If anyone is interested in attending the free webinar (3 hours) let me know and I will pass on the information to you.

2 comments:

Mary Bennett said...

COnsidering all the problems I have with "mobile" ... Actually that prob isn't accurate, my problem is with wireless.... Can't wait to hear your impressions!(I love the feel of books when I read)

Lily said...

I also love the feel of books, but lack the time to sit and read. Studies, children, homeschooling, blogging, etc. I like the convenience (and size) of my MP3 and love using audio books to multi-task.